Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Where wine has taken me

The wine industry opens the doors for travel all over the world.
Taking in the sights of a walled city in France
The first 18 years of my life I had never traveled past Montana to the east, as far as Sun Peaks Resort (my favorite ski destination) to the north and California to the south.  I knew there was more to the world than what I had seen and put travel onto my bucket list.

During my Sophomore year in college at Washington State University I applied for a study abroad program based in Toulouse, France focused on the French wine industry and European agriculture.   Not only was I selected but I was honored a scholarship to boot!  Europe was amazing, more to come on my experiences for those amazing 3 months.
Large Counoise clusters going through verasion.

After college, wine took me to my first crush job in Blenheim, New Zealand.  I was able to travel before grape harvest started and once it did, I worked 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for 6 weeks.  It was exhausting but one of the most amazing experiences I have had. One can learn about making wine from a book or class but it isn't the same as getting your hands dirty and doing punch downs, dig outs, inoculations, and additions.

Digging a tank of Pinot Noir skins in New Zealand
What travel destinations are on your bucket list?  I know I will go back to New Zealand and would recommend for everyone to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment